What is C++?
- C++ is a general-purpose high-level programming language.
- C++ is the superset of the c programming language that supports both procedural and object oriented programming.
- It also facilitates low level memory manipulation
Where is it used?
- Software infrastructure including desktop application, servers(Sql Servers, e-commerce), Telephone switches.
- Database management system, MYSQL which is a popular database management software.
- Some of the medical equipment like MRI machines use c++ for scripting.
- Adobe photoshop, premier, illustrator which are in demand in the market right now make use of c++ for scripting.
- Many of the operating systems like windows uses c++.
- Most console games were designed using c++.
- Languages like Python, Java, PHP, Ruby, perl, c# have Macros written in c or c++.
What is a programming language?
- Programming languages are the instructions given to the computer to communicate and perform an operation.
Computer languages are categorised into 3 types
- Machine Language: It is a low level programming language that can be directly understood by a computer without conversion. It consists of a string of 0’s and 1’s. Ex:Hardware
- Assembly Language :An assembly language is the most basic programming language available for any processor. With assembly language, a programmer works only with operations that are implemented directly on the physical CPU.Ex:flight navigation system,device drivers,medical equipement etc.
- High Level Language(HLL): Refers to a computer programming language such as BASIC,C,C++ etc., which enables programmers to develop software. Ex: c++,java,c#
Where to write c++ code
- Since c++ is a high level language it is not understood by the computer and needs a compiler to execute the code.
- There are many different compilers available which are compatible to c++ like turboc++, codeblocks, xcode etc.
- To get started install one of these softwares.
What does a compiler do
- A compiler is a program which reads each line of code and converts that into the machine-readable language or executable code.
- The executable code may be a sequence of machine instructions that can be executed by the CPU directly
- It executes the code line by line and checks for errors. If found the errors are notified.